Large data sets

Hi,
  I am new to IDL, and everything that I have done so far works great on
small data sets. But, I dont know how to use it for a large (>2 gig)
dataset, as I obviously just cant load that into an array. The data is on
disk and can either be tiled so that it is stored in 1024x1024 segments, or
it is stripped which is one complete row at a time. Even a complete row is
large (>80000 samples).

Any thoughts as to how I would be able to use this data?

Another question: is there thread support in IDL? I have a machine with 18
processors, so it sure would be nice to process this large dataset in 18
parallel threads. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Neil Talsania