I'm a Research Scientist (I) at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) in Boulder, CO, as a member of Laila Andersson's group. My current project is on the kinetic physics of electrons in Mars's magnetosheath.
I received my PhD in Physics from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in summer 2019. My thesis work was conducted with Prof. Stanislav Boldyrev. A copy of my thesis, titled "Theory and Observations of Runaway Electrons in the Solar Wind", can be downloaded here.
Some posters and talks from past conferences.
Office: N277 Space Science Building
3665 Discovery Dr, Boulder, CO 80303
A copy of my CV is available here.
Instructor (CU-Boulder): Astronomy 2600--Intro to Scientific Programming, Summer 2020 (course website)
Teaching Assistant (UW Madison): Physics 202--Electricity and Magnetism, Fall 2015-Summer 2017
A memorable and *mostly* accurate conversation about Parker Solar Probe, UFOs, Star Wars, and more (note: some explicit language).
I recently co-designed a board game titled "Co-op"! The game is about living in a housing cooperative, an experience that has been a huge part of my own life. You can find out more about the game (and if interested, purchase a copy), at the Gamecrafter, LLC website. Inquiries may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
I also serve on the board of directors for Boulder Cooperative Food, a collective food purchasing organization in Boulder, CO.
1. Toward a Theory of Astrophysical Plasma Turbulence at Subproton Scales,
S. Boldyrev, K. Horaites, Q. Xia, J. C. Perez, Astrophys. J. 777 (2013) 41
2. Spin-modulated spacecraft floating potential: Observations and effects on electron moments,
M. P. Pulupa, S. D. Bale, C. Salem, K. Horaites, JGR, 119 (2014) 647-657
3. Self-Similar Theory of Thermal Conduction and Application to the Solar Wind,
K. Horaites, S. Boldyrev, S. I. Krasheninnikov, C. Salem, S. D. Bale, M. Pulupa, PRL, 114 (2015) 245003
4. Kinetic Theory and Fast Wind Observations of the Electron Strahl,
K. Horaites, S. Boldyrev, L. B. Wilson III, A. F. Viñas, J. Merka, MNRAS, 474 (2018), pp. 115-127
5. Stability Analysis of Core-Strahl Electron Distributions in the Solar Wind,
K. Horaites, P. Astfalk, S. Boldyrev, F. Jenko, MNRAS, 480 (2018), pp. 1499-1506
6. Electron Strahl and Halo Formation in the Solar Wind,
K. Horaites, S. Boldyrev, M. V. Medvedev, MNRAS, 484 (2019), pp. 2474-2481
7. Kinetic Theory of the Electron Strahl in the Solar Wind,
S. Boldyrev, K. Horaites, MNRAS, 489 (2019), pp. 3412-3419
8. Collisionless Electron Dynamics in the Magnetosheath of Mars,
S.J. Schwartz, L. Andersson, S. Xu, D. Mitchell, H. Akbari, C. Mazelle, S.A. Thaller, A.R.N. Sales, K. Horaites, G.A. DiBraccio, K. Meziane, GRL, 46 (2019), pp. 11679-11688
9. Observations of energized electrons in the martian magnetosheath,
K. Horaites, L. Andersson, S. J. Schwartz, S. Xu, D. L. Mitchell, C. Mazelle, J. Halekas, and J. Gruesbeck. arXiv preprint, 2012.08029, 2020